About the International Propeller Club of the United States
The Propeller Club was conceived in 1922 as an ever-growing group of maritime professionals met informally each day over lunch to discuss issues of the industry. As the group became too large for casual conversation, speakers began to be invited to address the group. Growth continued, and in January of 1923 the “Propeller Club of the Port of New York” was formed, with thirty-three in attendance choosing the name and scheduling regular meetings.
News of the club spread to other port cities, and Propeller Clubs were formed in Boston, New Orleans, and at Yale University. On November 7, 1927, The Propeller Club of the United States as a national and international organization was formed, with individual member clubs designated as “Ports.” Ports followed in Tampa, Seattle, Jacksonville and Miami. The first overseas Propeller Club Port was formed in Hamburg, Germany, in 1932, by Americans engaged in the maritime business there.
The membership comprises a cross section of the maritime industry throughout the United States and in many cities overseas. The Propeller Club is particularly well equipped to promote, further and support the merchant marine. “Propeller” in the name refers to the propulsion of ships and is symbolic of the driving force required to communicate the need for an adequate, privately-owned merchant marine for both overseas and domestic commerce.
Today, the International Propeller Club of the United States is an international business network dedicated to the promotion of the maritime industry, commerce and global trade. There are more than 80 Ports in maritime locations around the world, including almost 30 in foreign cities.